Sunday, October 02, 2005

We Interrupt This Blog...

For a good old-fashioned rant.

This has nothing to do with poker, so if you don't want to continue, stop reading now.

Last night, I went to the movies with my wife, and my brother and sister-in-law to see The Exorcism of Emily Rose. The movie was okay, but what I'm ranting about isn't the movie, it's the ignorant assholes that attend them. We go to the 10:20 pm showing last night to mainly avoid the crowds (and the kids). We get nice back row seating, and eventually, a boyfriend-girlfriend couple and their friend sit in front of us.

No problems, right? Well, the previews begin, and my wife looks at me and says, "What the hell is that flashing blue light?" I think for a second that she's lost her mind, but then I see it. Most people have problems with people who use their cell phones in the theatre. But this is a new one on me. This putz is sitting in the movie theatre with a wireless Bluetooth earpiece in her ear. An earpiece that blinks with an obnoxious blue LED every 3 seconds. In a darkened movie theatre.

Now I looked after the movie, and this idiot looked to be in her early 20's. My question is this: Who the hell needs to be connected in a movie theatre at 10:30pm on a Saturday night? Who the hell does she think she is? Someone important? What the hell could be so important that you can't put this goddamn earpiece and its annoying flashing fucking LED away for 2 goddamn hours? It got annoying enough that the other girl with them asked her to remove it. So what did she do? She moved it to her other fucking ear. I don't get it. My wife and I are both healthcare professionals, with our jobs directly affecting people's lives. If you're on call and can't stand to be away from your cell phone for 2 fucking hours, then here's a news flash--STAY THE HELL HOME. We do. My wife carries a pager 24/7, I rotate call. Nothing this little bitch could be doing could be THAT important that she needs to have this little friggin' light in her ear constantly. Does she wear it when she goes to the bathroom taking a crap? Does she wear it when she's screwing her unfortunate boyfriend? Good, then ya know what? Don't wear it in the friggin' movies.

Rant over.

I've continued playing the 5/10, and I won a $223 pot with turned quad 8's. The increased action has me playing tighter, with less speculative hands than I'd play at 3/6. My goal is essentially to play tight/solid to start, then as I gain comfort in the stakes, to introduce some more speculative hands in position.

Some numbers, for example:
0.50/1: VP$IP: 22.95%, PFR: 7.53%
1/2: VP%IP: 18.67%, PFR: 5.73%
2/4: VP$IP: 18.56%, PFR: 7.19%
3/6: VP$IP: 16.73%, PFR: 7.14%
5/10: VP$IP: 15.67%, PFR: 5.22% (only over 500 hands).

Notice how the VP$IP drops as limits go up. This is a function of not only increased limits, but as becoming a more solid player. Let's hope it continues.

1 Comments:

Blogger April said...

Thanks for reminding me why I no longer go to movie theaters. No matter where we sit we always find the talkers or, even worse, the person translating the film to their non-English speaking friend!

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home