Thursday, June 23, 2005

Ok, We Have To Settle a Few Things

The "Donkey" post from a couple days ago...

First of all, "donkey" is my new favorite word. I'm a donkey, you're a donkey, wouldn't you like to be a donkey too?

Second--What makes the post ironic is that I wrote a post a few weeks back called The Dangers of AK. It's actually a fantastic read. I recommend it strongly.

Unfortunately, I didn't take my own damn advice.

Third--My point, despite actually a great comment from an anonymous user last night, is that the first hand, a classic case of AKo losing to 65o (?), was a crappy play. By both of us. The BB didn't come along for the ride, so he was calling 1.5 SB to win a total of 3.5 SB, which gives him 2.3-to-1 odds pre-flop. Where does he stand?

He was a 62-38 underdog pre-flop (better than I had thought), so the call theoretically was good. I made my mistake playing past the flop. After the flop, I was almost a 3-to-1 underdog. So why did I play it? Because in my mind, people don't call raises from out-of-position with 65o. From this point, I overplayed my hand. Why? If I recall, this guy was raising with junk, and playing things to the river that he had no shot on. I had played 18 hands with him. He had showed hands like J6s (calling a raise with it), and playing it clear to the river with a Q-A-J-A-Q board). I knew that despite what he showed, that he may have missed everything too. I use this other hand as an example:

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9h, 9c.

3 folds, Hero raises, 1 fold, CO = Villain calls, 3 folds.

Flop: (5.33 SB) 8d, 4h, 7s (2 players)

Hero bets, Villain calls.

At this point, I have an overpair. He doesn't know what overpair, but he knows I have one. He can't lay down his TPTK.
Turn: (3.66 BB) Qc (2 players)

Hero bets, Villain raises, Hero calls.

This is where he wants to seperate. He's representing AQ, KQ, or QQ here. I don't believe him, but it's an effective tool, and it slows me down.
River: (7.66 BB) 3h (2 players)

Hero checks, Villain bets, Hero calls.

At this point, either I have him beat, or it's a crying call. I figure that I'm getting enough here (8.66-to-1) to make the call, even though I may be beaten. I do know, that unless he has a bigger pair than me (TT, JJ, QQ, KK, AA, or the above AQ, KQ, QQ, or even QJ, I'm safe.
Final Pot: 9.66 BB

Results below:

Hero has 9h 9c (one pair, nines).

Villain has 8h Ah (one pair, eights).

Outcome: Hero wins 9.66 BB.

A turn check raise can be a bluff to slow down an aggressive player. It's usually used by a player who has position.

But I digress.

I overplayed the hand, actually both of them. I was on a bit of tilt after it, and that probably explained the A9o out of position. I've run into players lately playing junk out of position for raises and hitting. Any two suited and drawing to runner-runner flushes, things like that. So when I see somebody playing 65o, they piss me off. But I know that they are the reasons I make the money I do. The beats will even out. As much as I hate to say it, the <*)))>< are vital to poker.

Great analysis and discussion, anonymous. Feel free to stop by more often.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home