Friday, July 01, 2005

Confusion on the Stop-n-Go

Thanks to Dugglebogey, there is a major difference between limit and no-limit and the way you go into certain plays. I consider a stop-n-go to be when you check a monster on the flop to induce a bet, then check/raise or bet out on the following street when a card that has nothing to do with your hand hits the board.

An example in limit is checking a hidden flopped straight:

You're dealt JTs and limp with 4-5 others.
Flop comes 8-9-Q rainbow. You check. Hopefully, someone will have flopped a pair of queens, or a set and bet out. Next street, say a 4 drops. You either bet out or check/raise. It may not be a stop-n-go, maybe a better term is slow-n-go. I totally agree with DuggleBogey's comment on the last entry that cold-calling a raise from the blind in NL then going all-in on the flop is probably a better example of a stop-n-go, and is one hell of a confusing play.

But I like doing the delayed check/raise in limit too!

Speaking of limit, I'm putting the finishing touches on my limit auto-rate rules, again based partially on the work of excession over at Bet The Pot. They're currently still in beta-test mode, but they're listed in the filename as final, because until I get to accumulate more user's data, I can't do much more than I already have.

Get your limit autorate rules here, and any feedback would be appreciated. There are 5 priority classes, created by excession, that I have adapted to my rules, and they really highlight certain player types.

The Showdown Muppet is a player who will see hands to showdown no matter what the price. They will play to the river with 3rd pair, or with top pair on a board with a 4-flush they have no part of. Truly a crappy player.

The Calling Station is what we all think. Non-tight, call-call-call.

Bad Weak Tight was more my creation with some inspiration. These are players, like showdown muppets, who will play afraid until they hit a card they think wins them the hand--unfortunately, they may raise on the river with second pair and still lose. Also really bad.

Ultra Aggressors are what you think they are. Trouble.

Also, I have an Extra Loose category (VP$IP > 50%). Also lousy.

Again, thanks to excession for blazing the trail and doing most of the work for these.

Happy 4th all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home