Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Are You Using PokerAce HUD?

Well damnit, you should (at least if you want to make money). And if you're not already using PokerTracker, please look for me online and sit at my table. I could use a new monitor, and you could just be the generous soul that buys it for me...

Kuso over at Bet the Pot (IMHO the best poker forum on the internet) told me about two stats that PokerAce HUD calculates for you based on the traditional PokerTracker numbers. This awesome program that brought you things like Aggression Frequency and the like now bring you...

Won at Showdown When Raising Turn/River (W$SDwRT/R)

It's configurable in the pop-up stats portion of the program (see Josh's excellent tutorial for more info on the stats) or as a permanent HUD stat. I use a very minimalist or GT+ reminiscent HUD display, leaving only VP$IP, PFR, and AF-Total visible. My pop up stats, which make the whole thing less busy and intimidating by staying hidden until I want them, paint the rest of the picture. Let's set the scene:

I'm in the BB, and I look down at 96s in diamonds. We get a single limper and the LAG cutoff player raises. Um, no sir, you DON'T steal MY blind. The button calls, I call, and the limper calls, so 4 of us see a flop of Qh,9c,6s.

I love the rainbow, and with even bottom two pair, I'm WAY ahead here, but my hand is fragile. If anyone has a queen, they have outs to beat me, but they can't possibly see this coming. I check, and our original raiser leads out, and the trap is sprung. I check-raise him, and the button and the UTG limper both fold, so him and I go to the turn. The turn is the Kh, and I lead out. He raises me back. Hmmm. What am I drawing behind here? Could he have KK and I'm screwed? No--he would've 3-bet the flop. Does he have KQ? Possibly. Maybe he had AK and thought he just trumped my top pair.

That's where this stat comes in. With W$SD when Raising Turn (or River) is in your set of stats or pop-up, you can examine what this guy does with his turn raises. Is he protecting a fragile hand? Is he trying to value bet a flush draw? This stat can tell you, and may be one hell of a way of weeding out the weak/tight-tending players. If his number for this stat is >75-80%, he's raising generally with the best hand. If it's <50%, he's bluff raising, semi-bluff raising or protecting a draw enough to know that you can call this raise. The only problem I see with this stat is that it's not the most reliable when the player has fewer than say, 500 hands (or preferably even more) in your database.

I went into check-call mode, calling the turn raise, and I check called the river, the 7s, and he turned over Qs, Ks for the better two pair and the win.

I didn't have the stat turned on in my popup stats, and the read I had on him was that he had either AK, or Kx or hearts. My read was wrong, but I believe that having the stat available could have made the difference and maybe saved me a bet or two. In this case, it might not have helped because a concealed two pair is a relative monster in LHE, and I don't think that laying it down here is +EV. Even IF he has KQ, I still have 4 outs to fill up (not that it's really a possibility). The only way you're drawing truly dead here is if he has KK or QQ.

When you're configuring your HUD, just keep this information in mind. The turn, with it's doubled bet, seperates the men from the boys, and the information you gain by using this stat may make the difference between you winning bets, losing bets, or saving bets.

Remember, folks, Limit Holdem is a game of information, and the more information you have, the better prepared you are to make the correct decisions--and make money.

Thanks again to Kuso for bringing this to my attention!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home