Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Great Advice

Scurvydog, from Sound of a Suckout, which should really be the title of my blog, offers the following fantastic advice:

If you don't have enough of a bankroll to play the way you know you should be playing, save until you have the necessary roll. Spend that time studying, playing freerolls, learning. Wait until you can deposit enough to give yourself a decent chance of success. Don't hamstring yourself by constantly nursing tiny bankrolls. All you're doing is conditioning yourself to play scared, which'll bite you in the ass later on even if you do run your roll up.


Is that what I'm doing? Maybe I should actually take good advice, save up and deposit again with a real friggin bankroll.

And again!

People will say over and over that you shouldn't be results-oriented, that it'll drive you crazy if you are, especially as you see your AA get cracked over and over and over by 74o. They'll extend the argument and say that you shouldn't focus on the results from one individual session, or a week's worth of sessions, or even a month, as it's the big picture you should keep a steady eye on, knowing that your solid play over time will cause more chips to congregate on your side of the table.
I cry bullshit on that. The warm fuzzy feeling that you're playing solid poker, despite the mounting losses, is worth exactly jack and squat. Poker is a game of winners and losers, and the difference between the two is gaudily visible, impossible to miss. If you play better than the other people at the table, you win. If you don't, you lose. Winners make money. Losers lose money.


You know what? I'm just gonna link to his whole post. It's friggin poetry: Great advice!

I'm actually going to re-read the post and ingrain it into my being. I knew I read all these damn blogs for a reason--y'all are pretty damn smart.

Oh, and the comment of the year from Wes, the Suicide King:

whenever something similar happens to me, I just envision them sitting at their computer smiling, then a big fist coming out of the screen punching them in the face and them falling over backwards. It may not be the best of tactics, but at least it makes me smile and try to get over it.


Great stuff. The image alone is priceless:




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home