Sunday, March 13, 2005

A New Attitude

Well, I played a couple short handed tables last night (1/2 6-max). To put it bluntly, I ran them over. Read through Small Stakes Hold'em again, and took some more of its lessons to heart. Played with the idea that I wouldn't be pushed off anything and that I would play my tight style, play fast, and push hard when the time is right. Two hours and a ridiculous 23BB/100 win rate later, I ran them all over.

According to Tracker, my aggression rating on the two tables was 5.65. I pushed people off with stone cold bluffs. Passive players? Dead. Miller is so right when he says that showing strength from beginning to end is a great way to win. Example: I raised with ATs on the button, flopped a gutshot (Q-K-3 rainbow). I bet, got 3 callers. Turn was a 5. I bet, got 2 callers. The river was a 7. I bet again, folded to me. I win. Ruthless aggression. Another hand for aggression's sake: Dealt 98o in the BB. Flop is 9-8-9 (hee hee). I check, get 2 checks behind me, another guy decides it's time to bet. I then raise. Checkers run away, he re-raises, I cap. Turn card is a 9 (hee hee again). I bet, he raises, I re-reraise, he caps.

Commentary--He was just check-raised by someone in the BB. Trips on the board, after a check raise. If he doesn't have 88 here, he should've been sitting on the sidelines a long time ago.

River card puts a flush on the board (think it was a J). He bets, rinse, repeat, it's a capped pot ($44). I show my quads, made after my boat, and he mucks. I need to check the hand history to see what the hell he thought was so good to cap with. Like I said, 88 or a monster pair (AA, KK, QQ, JJ) are the only hands you'd even think of staying in with. He may have thought he had me beat with 9's full of blank with a pocket pair, but when I capped it twice, and with my image as a TAA player, what the hell did he think I had? If that's in fact what he did have, the quads were the only way I could have won, but lesson learned--Never slowplay big pairs... It's the best way to lose. If, let's just say for the sake of argument, he had AA, and he raised pre-flop, I play so relatively tight, that I probably throw 98o away. No raise, I'm in--flop the boat, turn quads, YGHN.

Sign of the Impending Apocalypse



Producers announced in February that they were still planning to bring the 3-year-old London stage show "Jerry Springer, The Opera" to America in early 2006, despite increasingly vituperative protests of religious groups. The show features "Jerry" mediating confessions in hell between Satan, God, Jesus, Mary, and various biblical characters, complete with a raucous audience periodically chanting "Jer-ree! Jer-ree!" Reportedly, 300 to several thousand curse words are in the script (depending on who counts), and the show's Jesus is a pudgy, diaper-wearing gay man who is apparently coprophilic (among the many alleged points of blasphemy). When the BBC televised a showing, it reported 50,000 complaints, with some physical threats directed to the station's staff and their families. [BBC News, 1-10-05]


Holy shit.

Weird Habits Gone Wild



Tammy Jean Warner was charged in February with negligent homicide in the 2004 death of her husband, Michael, who suffered acute alcohol poisoning (0.47 blood-alcohol level) caused by having ingested three liters of sherry wine, allegedly provided by Tammy via enema. The Lake Jackson, Texas, widow told reporters that she was only trying to help Michael (who she said had been addicted to enemas since childhood) and that he also did enemas with coffee, "castile soap, Ivory soap. He had enema recipes. I'm sure that's the way he wanted to go out (die) because he loved his enemas." [Houston Chronicle, 2-10-05]


Exactly what I would want. Mrs. PokerShark funneling three liters of sherry up my ass. And the wife's comment, "...he loved his enemas?" I guess that and the charge of negligent homicide makes her Public Enema #1.

"There is no evidence of intelligent life on earth..." My thoughts exactly.

Oh, and one more thing--poker is always more fun when you're winning. The AC trip is still on for next weekend. Hopefully, I'll get some more time in online before that, and I won't chase any good karma away before I go pick on the tourists.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home