Saturday, July 08, 2006

Resolution

Wow--where to begin?

First, I'd like to thank everyone who through comments, email, and just by being out there and posting great things on their own blogs were just fantastic in this whole thing.

We've reached a compromise. (Why do I feel like I'm negotiating some sort of labor deal? I almost feel like I should have a lawyer next to me as I type this...)

The wife was right in one way. I really did need to scale back my hours playing. This isn't my job--it's just a very lucrative, profitable hobby for me. I was playing like it was my job, and like someone was going to take it away from me.

I explained the whole money side to her-- it's really nice to be able to show a lot of positive returns in the equation--and she seems to understand more of where everything comes from. She understands that poker is very important to me, and I think she really understands now that I actually derive revenue from even just spewing my thoughts on this game across the internet.

I'm not playing as much as I did before, but I'm also spending REAL time with my beautiful daughter, time that if I decided to toss it away, I could just never get back. I'm not sacrificing family time for poker anymore, in the sense that I'm planning sessions, as if I were going to Atlantic City, and it's being blocked off as my own time. I've also begun playing those "spontaneous sessions" when the baby's safely (and deeply) asleep.

We've come to the compromise that poker and family aren't mutually exclusive, nor should they ever be.

And an aside, QL (you know who you are, I'm sure), I'm honored that you read my humble blog, and while I didn't take your advice per se, I did in a slightly different way. Thank you.

Remember kids, the other bloggers (CC, TripJax, etc) are all very right--communication is vital to any relationship, and the maintenance of those communication lines are even more vital to the survival of those relationships. Be open about what you want to accomplish with poker, and what you want from the game. Also be realistic about your goals. Be honest with your SO (significant other) about what you do, and set boundaries--for both of you.

Again, thanks all for your support.

3 Comments:

Blogger jremotigue said...

Good to hear that you guys have reached a compromise. During your break from posting, I had my fingers crossed for ya.

all the best,
dp

12:24 PM  
Blogger WillWonka said...

I'm glad things are working out. Hopefully, they will continue to do so.

I'm going through similar struggles (as I haven't been playing or blogging too much lately).

10:31 PM  
Blogger CC said...

Great news, and now the tough part: execution to prevent your execution! Hope it's a good rest of the month.

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home